What Should You Need To Know About Pumpkin?
It is needless to mention that, craving vegetables will cater you many more benefits both physically and mentally. Doctors and physicians say that, everyone should crave more vegetables than meals. It is actually true. Since, craving vegetables in a higher ratio than meals will bring more nutritional facts and benefits to you. As you all know that, pumpkin is a vegetable that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants. This vegetable is widely used all over the world as it has many nutritional benefits. It is not a rare vegetable, so everyone must have some idea about this vegetable.
Before discussing the benefits and other things of this vegetable, first, let us discuss what this vegetable gets hold of. Of course, it is something important to know about a vegetable and what does it carries ahead craving them. Every 100gm of this vegetable contains following nutritional facts,
- Polyunsaturated fat – 0g
- Sugar – 2.8g
- Calories – 26
- Total fat – 0.1g
- Cholesterol – 0g
- Protein – 1g
- Dietary fiber – 2%
- Potassium – 9%
- Sodium – 0%
- Carbohydrate – 2%
- Magnesium – 3%
- Vitamin A – 170%
- Vitamin B-6 – 5%
- Vitamin C – 15%
- Iron – 4%
- Calcium – 2%
Added to these nutritional facts, this vegetable as well contains flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants such as carotenes, Lutein and xanthin in sufficient quantity. As you all know that, this vegetable grows in the ground. The fruit or vegetable that grows in the ground will always have extraordinary factors in it. The same point remains true in this vegetable as well.
The shape, size and colors of this vegetable will vary. Commonly, pumpkin contains yellow or orange outer layer. Nevertheless, some varieties have dark green, gray, white, red and brown colored outer skin. The color of the outer skin largely depends on yellow-orange pigments present in the pulp and skin of the vegetable. This vegetable can be classified into two types which are giant and Golden-nugget.
The giant vegetable contains 4 to 6 kg weight and it has the ability to grow long and weighs about 25kg. The golden-nugget vegetable will be small, flat and contains sweet orange color flesh inside. The color of the vegetable also relies on the poly-phenolic pigments present in it. This vegetable contains off-white color seeds. The seed of this vegetable also contains a great amount of proteins, vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids and minerals.
Health Benefits Of Pumpkin
It is vital to know something about the advantages of craving this vegetable. By craving this vegetable, you can experience the following benefits,
- This vegetable helps you reduce your body weight and lower your cholesterol level. Yes, as I said earlier in this article that, this vegetable contains no saturated fats and cholesterol level. Added to that, 100gm of this vegetable serving only 26 calories that helps to control your weight. Rather spending your hard money for weight loss programs, you can simply buy and crave pumpkin.
- B-Complex vitamin is a must-one for maintaining our health to the point. If you want to get more B-complex vitamins like vitamin B-6, folates, pantothenic acid, niacin and thiamin, all you have to do is to include this vegetable in your meal.
- The heart is the central processing unit of our body or physique. And we have to maintain our heart fine and to the point. The seeds of this particular vegetable will assist you to enhance the health of your heart into some heights. The seeds contain mono-saturated fatty acids, dietary fibers, minerals and other nutritional facts.
- I would say that, this vegetable is a stockroom of many useful and beneficial anti-oxidants. So, taking this vegetable will definitely provide you a better and enhanced health.
- The retina of the eyes will stay fine and to the point of simply craving this vegetable as this vegetable contains Zea-Xanthin. It is an anti-oxidant that helps in resolving the uncertainties and issues of the retina.
Storage And Selection Of Pumpkin
As far as selecting the vegetable is concerned, you have to choose the vegetable that gets hold of fine tapping, stout steam and feels hard. Avoid choosing the vegetable that contains wrinkles, cracks and black eye. Also, you have to choose the single, whole and well-developed vegetable rather choosing the sectioned vegetable. The single and whole vegetable can be stored at room temperature.
If you have sections of the vegetable, then you have to keep it in the refrigerator to ensure that it will be alive for a few days. Storing and choosing the vegetable is not a big deal, but still, you have to spare some time and choose the ideal one for you. You can find the readily available vegetable on the market. So, you can visit the market and buy the vegetable.
Cooking Methods Of Pumpkin
People would like to know how to prepare the dishes using pumpkin. If that is the case with you, you have to continue reading the article. As far as this vegetable is concerned, every single portion including its leaves, seeds, fruit and flowers are safe to eat. Before started cooking, you first have to wash them completely with water in order to remove the soil, dust and other fungicides. Washing the vegetable is mandatory as some vegetables might be subjected to spray or other insecticides. And then, you have to cut the vegetable by separating the seeds. You can cut the vegetable into small or big cubes as per your demands.
Using this vegetable, you can prepare the following dishes,
- You can prepare dishes either with a baked vegetable or fried vegetable as of your choice. But if you would like to get more nutritional facts, then you have to cook the vegetable after it has been boiled with steam water. You can add the boiled slices of this vegetable in soups to add a rich flavor to the soups.
- The seeds can be either fried or roasted and you can serve this as an evening snack.
- In India, this vegetable is used to prepare dishes like halwa, curries, soups, sabzee and desserts.
- In the USA and Europe countries, the fruit is used to prepare pancakes, ravioli, pies and custard.
- The flat and small golden nugget type vegetable is used to prepare extraordinary stuffing, soups and soufflés.
- You can as well crave baked or boiled vegetable along with your meal or dinner or breakfast.
It is a kind of fruit or vegetable that does not bring any sort of pessimistic effect or negative effects. So, you can include this vegetable or fruit in your diet with no hesitations. I hope that, you would have understood the nutritional benefits of this vegetable by reading this article. Just crave this wonderful vegetable and enjoy the immense benefits.